Attorney-at-Law („Advokát“) / Partner (Managing partner)
Academic profile and academic qualifications:
1987-1988 Faculty of Law, J.E.P. University (today Masaryk University), Brno
1988-1991 Faculty of Law, Charles University in Prague, Institute of International Relations and International Law at the Faculty of Law of Charles University (where A. Belohlavek first attained a master’s degree – “Mgr.” – and, upon completing postgraduate studies in 1993, his Doctor of Law). Fully qualified as a lawyer since 1991.
1989-1992 Faculty of Economics, Foreign Trade Relations (“inženýr” / “inženýr ekonomie” [graduate economist – Dipl. Ing. (oec)]).
1991-1993 Postgraduate studies, Faculty of Law, Charles University in Prague, subject: Civil Law I (defense of doctoral thesis: December 1993).
1996 “Associate Professor“.
2001 “University Professor” appointed by the state president of the Czech Republic effective as of 1 April 2001.
1992 Honorary doctorate (dr.h.c.), awarded based upon a joint proposal by the Faculty of Law and Faculty of Economics, KROK University.
2012 Appointed Professor in Poland (“Prof. zw.” / “Profesor zwyczajny”) for international law and international relations at the Faculty of Law and Public Administration of WSMW University (Warsaw / Poland), effective as of 1 October 2012.
2015 Honorary Professor in Poland (“Profesor Honorificus”) for international law. (See also “Academic work” below).
1991-1996 Faculty of Law, Charles University in Prague / Czech Republic, research assistant (Institute of Intellectual and Industrial Property Rights and Competition Law; Department of Commercial and Economic law – subjects: commercial law, private international law, international commercial law). Currently a member of this faculty’s examination board for doctoral state exams of postgraduate students.
1992 – present Department of Law, Faculty of Economics at the VŠB Technická univerzita Ostrava / Czech Republic (since 1 April 2001: professor at the Department of Law, 1996 to March 2001: lecturer at the Department of Law, 1992-1996: research assistant at the Department of Law; scientific supervisor in the field of international commercial law, member of the specialist board for doctoral studies, scientific supervisor in the field of international trade and legal regulations of economy and business, scientific supervisor for accredited postgraduate and doctoral study programs in Czech and German, among others).
2009 – present Department of International and European Law, Faculty of Law, Masaryk University (visiting professor, member of the examination board for doctoral state exams in the field of private international law and European law; in addition, the visiting professor at the Department of Civil Law at the same faculty).
2012 – 2018 Professor (“profesor zwyczajny“) and Chair of the Department of International Law and International Relations at the Faculty of Law and Public Administration, Warsaw Academy of Management, Poland.
2018 – present Professor („poesor zwyczajmy“) and Chair of the Institute of International Law Collegium Humanum University, Warsaw, Poland.
2015 – present Department of International Law, Faculty of Law, West Bohemia University (professor, private international law, also member of the examination board for doctoral state exams in the field of private international law and EU law; in addition; supervisor of Ph.D. students).
Other (non-academic) professional endeavours:
1989 – present court-appointed sworn interpreter for German language
1993-1994 commercial lawyer (attorney-at-law for commercial matters)
1994 – present Attorney-at-law (Czech Bar Association; till IX. 2015 branch of the office also in the State of New Jersey, USA, holding a license granted by the Supreme Court of New Jersey valid thru September 2015; at present branch office in The Hague, The Netherlands)
2003-2008 Member of the Board of Advisors to the Chairman of the Czech Data Protection Office
2003-2008 Member of the Board of Advisors to the Chairman of the Czech Office of Telecommunications
Activities in in arbitration – see separate section “Other professional activities” below.
Other professional activities:
International Chamber of Commerce, Paris
- Chairman of the ICC Commission on Arbitration (till 2017 and at present, member of the Commission), Czech National Committee
- Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration, Paris
- Member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, Paris, 2009-2018, three terms (for the Czech Republic)
- Member of the ICC European Arbitration Group
- Member of the ICC World Business Law Institute
Arbitrator – track record
- Member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration on behalf of the Czech Republic
- Dispute resolution in ad hoc proceedings and UNCITRAL procedures
- Dispute resolution before permanent arbitral institutions (see below for details)
- A record of arbitration experience (as arbitrator) is also available as separate chart and may be provided upon request. As of 2023, participation in an approximate total of over 600 arbitrations (disputes) in the capacity of co-arbitrator, president of arbitral tribunal, or sole arbitrator
- Vice-President of the International Arbitration Court of the Czech Commodity Exchange, Prague, Czech Republic (as from 2018)
- Director and Member of Board of IWHAAM – International and Western Hemisphere Arbitration Adjudication and Mediation Centre, Nassau / Bahamas (as from 2022)
Entered as an arbitrator in the lists of arbitrators kept by the following permanent arbitral institutions:
- Prague / Czech Republic: International Arbitration Court at the Czech Commodity Exchange and Vice-President of the International Arbitration Court at the Czech Commodity Exchange
- Vienna / Austria: Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC) (List of Practitioners in International Arbitration, Member of the International Advisory Committee)
- Paris / France: ICC International Court of Arbitration – Member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration (for and on behalf of the Czech Republic) 2009 – 2018. At the same time member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration (HQ and Prague / Czech Republic) and chairman of the Commission on Arbitration with the ICC National Committee Czech Republic (2003 – 2018) and Member of the working group for application of the New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (1958)
- Moscow / Russian Federation: (i) MKAS – International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation (ii) Panel of Arbitrators for International and Investment Disputes of the Arbitration Centre at the RSPP (Russian Union of Industrialists and Enterpreneurs)
- Chişinău / Moldova: International Arbitration Court attached to the Chamber of Industry and Commerce of Moldavia (listed as arbitrator)
- Vilnius / Lithuania: Arbitration Court for Commercial Disputes at the Lithuanian Chamber of Industry and Commerce (listed as arbitrator)
- Almaty / Kazakhstan: Kazakh Arbitration – Kazakh International Arbitration Court (listed as arbitrator)
- Ljubljana / Slovenia: Arbitration Court attached to the Slovenian Chamber of Industry and Commerce (listed as arbitrator)
- Minsk / Belarus: International Commercial Arbitration Court attached to the Belarus Chamber of Industry and Commerce (listed as arbitrator)
- Warsaw / Poland: Court of Arbitration at the KIG – Polish Chamber of Commerce (listed as arbitrator)
- Kiev / Ukraine: International Arbitration Court attached to the Ukrainian Chamber of Industry and Commerce (listed as arbitrator)
- Kuala / Lumpur / Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur Regional Center of Arbitration – arbitrator and mediator
- Sofia / Bulgaria: International Court of Arbitration attached to the Institute of Private International Law (listed as arbitrator).
- Bucharest / Romania: International Arbitration Court attached to the Romanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (listed as arbitrator)
- Bratislava / Slovakia: Arbitration court attached to the Slovak Chamber of Trade and Industry (listed as arbitrator)
- Beijing / China, People´s Republic of: CIETAC – China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (listed as arbitrator)
- Harbin / China, People´s Republic of: HRBAC – International Arbitration Commission (listed as arbitrator)
- Shenzhen / China, People´s Republic of: SCIA – Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration Commission (Court) – Shenzhen Arbitration Commission / South China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (listed as arbitrator)
- SCIA / China – Hong-Kong and Macau (listed as arbitrator)
- Nassau / Bahamas, IWHAAM – International and Western Hemisphere Arbitration Adjudication and Mediation Centre; Director of IWHAAM
- Panelist for resolution of disputes arising out of the Agreement on Trade between EU and Colombia until 2022
- Panelist for resolution of disputes arising out of the Agreement on Trade between EU and Peru and panelist for other disputes pursuant to international law until 2022
- Panelist for resolution of disputes arising out of Trade Agreement between EU and Non-Member-Countries as (pursuant to the decision of the EU Commission of 2022)
Statistical data regarding the author’s track record as an arbitrator:
- As of 2022, participation in total of over 600 arbitrations (disputes) in the capacity of co-arbitrator, chairman of the arbitral tribunal, or sole arbitrator. In some proceedings appointed also as witness expert for legaland economic issues. A record of arbitration experience (as arbitrator).
WJA –World Jurist Association (Washington D.C. / USA)
- 1994 – present: Member
- 1996 – 2009: National President, Czech Republic
- 2007 – 2009: President of the World Association of Lawyers, part of the organizational structure of the WJA
- 2009 – 2011: First Vice President of the WJA
- 2011 – 2015: President of the WJA
- 2015 – present: Past president of the WJA and member of the „board of governors.“
Membership in Professional Organizations (selection):
- ABA – American Bar Association, Member of the Section for International Law
- ArbAut – Österreichische Assotiation für Schiedsverfahren
- ASA – Swiss Arbitration Association
- ASIL – American Association of International Law
- ČAK – Czech Bar Association
- ČES – Czech Economic Society
- ČSMP – Czech Society of International Law
- DIS – Deutsches Institut für Schiedsverfahren
- DTSW – Deutsch-Tschechische und Deutsch-Slowakische Wirtschaftsvereinigung
- IBA – International Bar Association
- ICC – International Chamber of Commerce (details see above)
- ICC WBLI – ICC World Business Law Institute, Paris, France
- ILA – International Law Association, Headquarters Branch, London
- Law Society of England and Wales, associate member
- Deutsch-Tschechische Juristenvereinigung
- Deutsch-Russische Handelskammer, Frankfurt a.M. / Germany
- RAA – Russian Arbitration Association, Moscow, Russia
- WJA –World Jurist Association, Washington D.C., USA – see above for details
Lecturing activities and contributions to professional conferences (outside regular academic work) (selection):
- Participation in more than 300 international conferences since 1990.
- Talks and lectures in the following countries (selection): Albania (2014); Aruba (2017); Australia (Sydney) (2003); Austria (on-going lecturing activities in a number of places since 1991); Bahamas (2016, 2018); China People´s Republic of (Shanghai, Jinan) (2014, 2018), Croatia (Zagreb) (2015); Cyprus (2022); Czech Republic; France (Paris, Lyon); Germany (on-going lecturing activities in a number of places since 1991); India (New Delhi) (1998); Iceland (Reykjavík) (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018); Ireland (Dublin) (2001) Israel (Jerusalem) (2008); (Jerusalem, Tel Aviv) (2013), Italy (Rome) (2004); Japan (Fukuoka) (2018); Kyrgyzstan (Bishkek) (2022); Lithuania (Vilnius) (2012, 2014); Mexico (Mexico City) (2008, 2019); Moldova (Chissina) (2016, 2018); Netherlands (2010); Poland (2009, 2010, 2011, 2015); Portugal (Lisbon) (2008); Russia (Moscow, Petersburg, Vladivostok) (ongoing since 2005); Qatar (Doha) (1997); Slovak Republic (ongoing since 1992); South Africa (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Stellenbosch) (1998, 2016); Switzerland (ongoing since 1992); Turkey (Istanbul) (2012); Ukraine (ongoing since 1996); Great Britain; USA (Washington D.C., Los Angeles, New York, ongoing) and many others.
- A detailed list of participations in conferences, congresses and lectures in universities is also available in a separate part of this profile.
- Lecturer (scientific coordinator / supervisor for academic programs): Czech Judicial Academy, Slovak Judicial Academy, and others.
- More than 500 publications since 1989, among them approx. 150 monographs (as the sole author or co-author). About one half of the entire output of publications has been published out of the Czech Republic.
- A detailed list of publications is also available in a separate part of this profile.
- Publications (incl. monographs) have been published in the following languages: English, Czech, French, German, Polish, Russian, Romanian, Spanish, and Ukrainian.
- Citations (domestic and abroad): approx. 3,000 citations on record.
- Domestic and foreign reviews of own published papers: more than 70 published book reviews.
Membership on editorial boards; editorial positions for professional and scholarly periodicals:
- The Lawyer Quarterly (Editorial Board, Institute of State and Law at the Czech Academy of Sciences, a periodical published in English)
- Bulletin advokacie [Legal Practitioners’ Monthly] (Editorial Board, Czech Bar Association)
- Law / Technology (Editorial Board, Washington, D.C., USA)
- CYIL – Czech Yearbook of International Law (Co-editor-in-chief; Huntington, NY, US: JurisPublishing Inc. publishing house)
- CYArb® – Czech & (Central European) Yearbook of Arbitration (Co-editor-in-chief; Huntington, NY, US: JurisNet LLC publishing house)
- RomeDatabase Bulletin and RomeDatabase on electronic media (Editor-in-chief; The Hague: Lex Lata publishing house)
- Anthology of civil-law proceedings, yearbook, Member of the Editorial Board, Taras Shevchenko University, Faculty of Law
- Journal of International Trade and Arbitration Law, Member of the Academic Advisory Council and Editorial Board, Istanbul / Turkey
- International Law and the Law of International Organizations, Member of the Editorial Board, Moscow / Russian Federation
- SENTENTIA – European Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Member of the Editorial Board, Russia and Slovakia
- SEI – Societas et Iurisprudentia, Member of the Editorial Board, Slovakia, Faculty of Law, University of Trnava
- Monitor Prawniczy, member of the editorial board, Warsaw / Poland, C. H. Beck Publishing.
- Právnické listy, (Lawyers´ papers), member of the editorial board, Faculty of law, West-Bohemian University, Plzeň [Pilsen] / Czech Republic.
- In Principle, Warsaw / Poland
- German – native language (bilingual), court-appointed sworn interpreter for German [A]
- English [A]
- Czech – native language (bilingual) [A]
- Slovak [A]
- Russian [A]
- Polish [B]
- Ukrainian [C]
- Icelandic [C]
- partial working skills of other languages: French, Dutch, Danish
Areas of particular interest and expertise:
- Arbitration and ADR
- Investment Protection and BIT Arbitration
- Private and Procedural International law
- International Law
- International Trade and Foreign Trade
- International Financial and Banking law
- EU Law
- Commercial Law and Corporate Law (incl. International Investment, M&A)
- International transport (especially air transport)
- International Insolvency (Bankruptcy) Law and EU Insolvency Law (Cross Border Insolvency)
- International Legal Assistance (Rogatory)